2012 was a good year for books, fiction and non-fiction alike. How can anyone possible choose a handful to place above all the others? Luckily, I have abilities far greater than the average book critic. By which I mean, I have friends who have published top-notch books. So, here they are in no particular order:
- Raining Cats and Detectives (Guinea Pig, Pet Shop Private Eye) by Colleen AF Venable & Stephanie Yue
- The Ghost of Graylock by Dan Poblocki
- Above World by Jenn Reese
- Fair Coin and Quantum Coin by E. C. Myers
- The Janus Affair: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris
- Wrayth (A Book of the Order) by Philippa Ballantine
- The 7th Son Series, in ebook format, by JC Hutchins
- Runner by Peter Woodworth
- War Paint by Kyle Cassidy
- And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen) by Stina Leicht
Of course, all these books are shadowed by a monumental release this year, The Battle of Blood & Ink: A Fable of the Flying City by Steve Walker and…well…modesty forbids.
We are entering a new year, chock full of exciting new publications. If that crop is half as good as this one, we’re in for some very good reading indeed.